At Madison Dental in Windsor, we perform routine dental screening of our patients to help detect severe diseases, such as oral cancer.
Screening for Oral Cancer
During an oral cancer screening, we examine the inside of your mouth as well as your lips to look for any spots or sores. Many of these spots or sores are harmless, but some may require a test to determine if a problem exists. We may perform a brush test which involves scraping a miniature brush across the suspicious sore or discolored area in a patient's mouth. The cells collected on the brush are sent to a lab for analysis. If the results show that suspicious cells are, in fact, present, a biopsy can then be performed.
Because 25 percent of the people diagnosed with oral cancer have no risk factors, oral cancer screenings are a routine part of our dental practice.
Regular check-ups, including an examination of the entire mouth, can help detect the presence of cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions.
Our office in Windsor can provide oral cancer screening. Book your appointment now! Request Appointment
- A change in the way the teeth fit together
- A color change in the oral tissues
- A tiny white or red spot/sore anywhere in the mouth
- Any sore that bleeds easily or refuses to heal
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Lumps, thickenings, rough spots, or crusty areas
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips